Religious

Little Autumn Church

Among the remains in the graveyard of this Church, a small 18th-century chapel, are the unmarked graves of navvies who died during the construction of the local tunnels. Adjoining the church is Bleak House, a Grade-II-listed 19th-century dwelling

Pig Church

Methodist Church


This Church is a derelict Grade II* listed building. It is currently in a fire damaged state.

The building was originally known as the Congregational Chapel and was constructed in 1787 at a cost of £1,000 (£155,000 in todays money) by some of the worshippers at the Church of St Nicholas, Bradfield. It was built for the curate at St Nicholas’ Benjamin Greaves who was about to be dismissed and his parishioners wanted him to stay in the area. Upon completion the chapel, which was set back 100 metres from the main Road had the look of a large house constructed from squared gritstone with Venetian windows. The local Bishop was asked to consecrate the building upon its opening but refused because it did not have an east window. In its early years the church was utilised as an Anglican place of worship with Benjamin Greaves continuing to preach until he was appointed to a new post at Stoney Middleton. Mr Greaves was succeeded by a Church of England minister, the Reverend Flockton. By 1798 the building was being rented by Protestant Dissenters or Independents and they changed its name to The Loxley Independent Church when they bought the building outright. In 1802 the Independents appointed their first minister Daniel Dunkerley, who was incumbent for 18 years until his death, he was buried in the churchyard.

David Dunkerley was the next minister, he was no relation to Daniel, remaining until he emigrated to Canada in 1830. Reverend Cullen (1830-1836) was succeeded by the Reverend John Hanson, who was minister for 18 years. Thomas France was minister for 35 years (1854-1889) eventually dying in November 1898, aged 83. Parishioners placed a remembrance tablet to him in the church. According to the Religious Census of 1851 an average congregation at an afternoon service was 200 people. A new school-room and minister's house was built in 1855, the first stone being laid on 30 April by Alderman Francis Hoole, Esq. former Lord Mayor of Sheffield. Many victims of the Great Sheffield Flood of 1864 were interred in the churchyard including members of the Armitage, Bower, Crownshaw, Denton, Bates, Hudson and Chapman families. In 1872 Henry Tingle Wilde, Chief Officer of the RMS Titanic was christened at the church. In the 1970s the name of the church was changed again to the Loxley United Reformed Church due to the formation of the United Reformed Church in 1972.

The church closed in 1993 with the building gradually deteriorating into a ruinous state over the years. The churchyard which surrounds the church on three sides became overgrown. Despite efforts to keep the interior secure, people broke into the church and caused substantial vandalism. In the early hours of 17 August 2016 the church caught fire and was severely damaged by the flames. The fire was attended by three fire engines and was put out within hours, however the building was completely gutted, losing its roof and first floor and all its fitments, it now stands open to the elements.

Druid Temple

The woodland at Bivouac is home to the Druid’s Temple which is steeped in history and intrigue. Not a great deal is known about the construction of the folly, but it is believed to have been built in the late 1700’s by William Danby (owner of Swinton Estate and nearby Swinton Park). It is rumoured that a hermit lived there for many years, but its mystical connections are probably fairly tenuous, as it was built at a time when there was a great deal of interest in Druidism as part of the emerging Romantic period. The site contains a main temple along with numerous stone formations dotted around the woodland for eager walkers to find as they explore.

Methodist Church

8 Years of cobwebs... Built in 1878, Built in 1878, , now left neglected The building was sold in May 2012 planning application was submitted, but later rejected. Another applications were lodged in 2015 but withdrawn in 2016.

The Asylum's Church

This church was built outside a mental hospital of the same name. it was built in the mid 1870s at a cost of 6 grand. The church was built to take in 700 worshippers. The asylum built 3 years previous to the church housed 2000 beds and was closed in the mid 1990s before being made into housing.
The church closed in 1996 but has not been demolished as it is grade II listed. In 1988 the church suffered significant fire damage but funds were raised to restore the church. The church was put up for sale 124 years after opening but has been left empty ever since.
There was an application put forward to convert the church into apartments but this has gone nowhere, it is still currently on the market

The Seminary

This College is a former Roman Catholic seminary, The foundation of the large building was laid in April 1880 and college was opened in 1883. The buildings have since been deconsecrated. This creepy place is the largest site I have explored to date, it even has an onsite abandoned church! The building is said to be haunted and with recent convictions of horrific abuse carried out by the priests in the 1970's and 80's this building is full of stories, history and an un-nerving atmosphere

Car Guy's Church

Freaky Deaky Pix - Urbex Photographer - 2020

freakydeakypix@gmail.com

  • Facebook
  • Instagram