Ledstone Luck colliery
This pit was sunk in the 1870's, the miners where the last to return to work after the miners’ strike, a year to the day after the National Coal Board (NCB) announced plans to shed 20,000 more jobs in the next financial year. This was due to the Mine manager deciding to stamp his authority on his workers, when they arrived for work after the last day of the stike they found he had chained the gates shut saying he'd decide when they could return to work, not them. Their pit would be closed less than two years later. The two winding Houses were built in 1911 and where among the first to use electric winders, at a time most other mines were still using steam. The Winding Houses are on the English Heritage list of scheduled ancient monuments.