This care home closed in 2011 after receiving a 0 star report stating the home was “poor” in the following areas: Health and Personal Care, Daily life, Complaints and Protection, Environment, Staffing and Management (everything apart from “choice of home” which was marked adequate).
The gothic style building started its life in 1852, being built by James Wilson for his own occupation. The building was built to a very high standard using expensive Greenmoor stone and ashlar facing.
After changing hands a few times the building was gifted to the town in 1925 including the twelve acres which were made into a park. The house was later used as a girls school dorm during world war II before becoming a nursing home in 1959. The development into a nursing home included a large more modern extension funded by a local charity.
The home eventually fell into private hands before being closed in 2011, unable to keep up with modern legislations and the correct level of care. Several plans to develop the building have been put forward but to date none have been progressed