Preparations for a power station at Heyrod began in 1916 when 26 acres of land were purchased. The station was opened in 1926. Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield were all involved in the making of the power station. The cooling towers were constructed in the 1940s. Coal was delivered to the plant at Millbrook railway sidings on the Micklehurst Line, which is situated on the opposite side of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The sidings were built in 1932 and had space to hold up to 130 12-ton wagons. Coal was fed into a hopper underneath the sidings before being transported on an enclosed conveyor belt which emerged high above the valley to cross the River Tame and canal before entering the station at a high level. The station was closed on 29 October 1979 with a generating capacity of 64 megawatts. It was demolished during the 1980s, although part of the site is still used as an electrical substation.